The construction of the new Yo’onik Learning Center is underway, and we need your help to finish the building and outfit it with books and supplies! We’ve raised $23,000 of the $28,000 needed, including generous donations of land and building materials from local Zinacantán families. Now we need contributions to raise the last $5,000 to finish the construction.
Over the next week, our blog will feature daily updates on Natik’s partners and programs.
- First up: a story and an introduction from Anita Smart, our executive director!
- Next, volunteer Patrick Rodgers and his key role in the Yo’onik construction.
- Puerta Abierta founder Amanda Flayer on replicating success and curriculum development.
- Anita Smart on what our fellows, interns, and volunteers do.
- An amazing family of women who built a cooperative that is supported by Natik’s partner Veredas, with blooming economic and ecological implications.
- Just Apparel’s makeover: new embroidery and new sales.
- Meet the class of Secondary School Scholarship recipients, complete with video and profiles!
- Board member and Professor Rebecca Galemba on Natik’s contributions to academia and its experiments with service-learning.
- What you want to know about service-learning trips
- One day left! How we balance communicating with technology and people!
- The End Is The Beginning!
La Puerta Abierta Library has grown tremendously in recent years, and the staff continues to see increasing demand for teen reading circles, the traveling library, and many other services. Your contribution helps us ensure that these valuable academic enrichment programs are available for every student who wishes to participate. Donate through PayPal or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how to make an in-kind donation of books or other academic materials.